Make the Most of Your Physio Appointment
Whether you are recovering from an injury, surgery or looking for help with chronic pain it is important to make the most out of your physiotherapy appointment. Here are a few tips from the team at Advanced Physiotherapy:
1. Find the right physiotherapist! Ask family and friends about their physiotherapy experiences, and potentially a referral. Checkout online reviews from current clients. Consider a physiotherapist's qualifications, experience, background and areas of specialty. Look for a physiotherapist who can communicate well, and that you feel comfortable with. After all, you will be working together to get the results you want to achieve.
2. Be prepared. Complete the required intake forms, review your insurance coverage and familiarize yourself with all Covid-19 safety protocols. Last, but not least, remember the old saying, “dress for success”. It holds true during a physiotherapy session! Be sure to wear loose-fitting clothing that allows you to move freely.
3. Set Attainable Goals. Together with your physiotherapist, you will set goals. Remember, everyone is different. It is important to set small, attainable and measurable goals focused on specific outcomes such as strength, range of motion, and balance.
4. Communicate. Be honest with your therapist about your injury or condition and how your pain or dysfunction is impairing your lifestyle. Don’t hesitate to ask questions and express concerns!
5. Commit to the Treatment Plan. Often, appointments once or even twice a week are not sufficient, and you will need to work on your own outside of the physiotherapy clinic. Your physiotherapist will recommend exercises and activities for you to do at home. These exercises will align with the goals you have set with your physiotherapist, and are vital parts of a complete program. If you find yourself struggling or unable to complete these recommendations, make sure you communicate with your physiotherapist to discuss your progress and treatment options.
Remember, healing doesn’t happen overnight. It takes time, care and attention. The highly skilled team at Advanced Physiotherapy will ensure that you get the most out of your treatment.